3/4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
3/4 whole wheat flour (I use King Arthur White Whole Wheat)
1/4 cup ground flaxseed
2 teaspoons aluminum-free baking powder
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon, divided
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup plain fat-free Greek yogurt
1/2 cup 1% milk
1/4 cup canola oil
1 large whole egg
1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1 cup diced, peeled cooking apple
2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease (or spray with non-stick cooking spray) a 9-inch cake pan.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, ground flaxseed, baking powder, 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon, and salt. Make a well in the center of the mixture.
- In a separate mixing bowl or large (4-cup) liquid measuring cup, combine the Greek yogurt, milk, canola oil, egg, and lemon peel. Pour this mixture into the flour mixture and stir to combine. Spread the batter into the prepared cake pan.
- Melt the butter in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add the diced apple and cook for about 3 minutes or until slightly tender. Add the brown sugar, 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon, and lemon juice and cook another minute or so until syrupy. Remove from heat and spoon evenly over the batter in the cake pan.
- Place in the preheated oven and bake for about 25 to 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Yield: 8 slices
Serving Size: 1 slice
Allergen Info: contains wheat, dairy, egg